Skip to main content


Rent allowance

Rent allowance is paid once to those who arrived in Estonia after 24th of February and have received temporary protection. Once you have found accommodation, the costs (up to 1200eur) will be reimbursed.

In order to receive compensation, an application must be submitted to the local government: 

  • Compensation is paid to the refugee, the landlord or someone else (for example, a volunteer who helped the refugee) who has incurred expenses related to the refugee's housing (e.g. purchase of furniture or household appliances, repair work). The decision to whom the costs are reimbursed is made by the local government.
  • To apply for compensation, the refugee must have received temporary protection and registered his place of residence in the local government.
  • A recipient of international protection can apply for a rent subsidy at the Vao Refugee Center



Pensioners who have received temporary protection have the same social guarantees as all residents who have reached retirement age in Estonia, i.e. the right to a pension and health insurance. This means that only emergency care is provided to a pensioner without temporary protection. Therefore, it should be done if it is possible to apply for temporary protection.


Unemployment benefits

Ukrainian refugees who have come to Estonia don’t get unemployment benefits. They can only get counselling and health insurance.


Subsistence allowance

From June 1, 2022, the subsistence limit for a person living alone or the first member of a family is 200 euros per month and 160 euros for the second and each subsequent member of the family. The subsistence limit for each minor member of the family is 240 euros per month. The recipient of subsistence allowance, whose family members are all minors, has the right to receive an additional social allowance of 15 euros together with the subsistence allowance.


Disability support

In order to determine the degree of disability and apply for social support for a disabled person, children (up to 15 years old) and old-age pensioners (64 and older) must submit an application and, if possible, health data to the Social Insurance Board. If there is no health data, you must first go to a doctor's office in Estonia to clarify your condition. If the health condition meets the conditions for identifying the severity of a disability, the type and severity of disability and social support are determined (between 12.79 and 241.64 euros). The severity of the disability is determined from the day the application is submitted.

People of working age (ages 16 – 64) can submit a request for assessment of work capacity and identification of the severity of disability to the Estonian Unemployment Insurance Fund.

Support with people with dissabilities

Only emergency care is provided to disabled refugees before receiving temporary protection. Once a disabled person has received temporary protection and a temporary residence permit, they can apply to determine the severity of the disability, the related social benefits and services for the disabled person. To determine the severity of a disability, a war refugee must apply to either the Social Insurance Board or a person of working age, preferably to the Unemployment Insurance Fund.


Family support

A person with children who have received temporary protection has the right to apply for and receive family benefits regardless of whether they are working or not. Both Estonian and Ukrainian bank accounts are suitable for receiving family allowances. The amount of the child allowance is 60 euros for the first and second child and 100 euros for the third and next child in the family. From three children, the support for a family with children is 300 euros per month, and from seven children, 400 euros per month.

To apply for family allowances, you need to contact the Social Insurance Board office.


School allowance

Estonian Refugee Council pays a one-time school allowance to all school-age children who have received international protection or temporary protection for the first time in Estonia. The 50€ grant is for the purchase of school-related items at the discretion of the child. More info


Compensation for translation services

Within 2 years a refugee can apply for compensation for translation services in the amount of up to 3,200 euros per family or 1,600 euros per individual person. Translation costs are considered administrative situations in local governments, state institutions, educational institutions and elsewhere that require translation.


Employer benefits

From June 1, employers can apply for a service supporting the employment of recipients of international protection. The employer can request:

  • a one-time mentor fee, the amount of which is 75% of the minimum wage, i.e. 490 euros in 2022. The mentoring fee can be applied for within four months of hiring the employee.
  • reimbursement of the costs of professional training for up to 2,500 euros per employee up to one year after the employee is hired.
  • reimbursement of expenses related to translation service and qualification for 500 euros per employee. Support can be applied for employees who have been employed for at least four months or for an indefinite period.

The mentoring fee is paid and the costs are reimbursed for recipients of international protection, whose first Estonian residence permit as a recipient of international protection or temporary protection or the certificate of an applicant for international protection allowing work in Estonia has not passed more than five years. More information about the application and conditions can be found at


Clothing and toiletries

Refugees are provided with the necessary clothing and toiletries at the local governments, where they are registered.

The charity shop Aarete Laegas at Madala 3, Tallinn offers free clothes, shoes and equipment (prams, aids for the elderly, bed linen, etc.) to war refugees on the basis of showing the document, Mon-Wed 11-19, Thu-Fri 10-18, Sat 10-16.

Refugees can get clothes and shoes and other things from Sõbralt Sõbrale stores by filling in (or having a contact person fill in) the form HERE. The form must be completed before going to the store. The person in need will be contacted (usually within one working day).




The food bank distributes food packages 4x a month to people who have accommodation (not in a hotel). A person can put themselves on this list by going to Niine 2.

Food for refugees is provided 2-3 times a day in the accommodation directed from the Reception Point.

The food bank supplies food aid packages to reception points (Tartu, Pärnu). In other municipalities, primary food aid is provided by social workers, who usually receive food aid kits from the county food bank.

If a war refugee is in the Estonian social system (has received temporary protection or is working), he or she will receive food aid from the Food Bank on the basis of a municipal list.

"Food Basket for War Refugees" is a project of the co-financing environment, with the help of which we collect donations to buy food aid for Ukrainian war refugees who have arrived in Estonia.

Have questions or suggestions? Please fill out the contact form
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.